Some Information On Herpes
A STD (sexually transmitted disease), herpes could be of two types: oral and genital herpes. In total, there are eight types of herpes virus, each responsible for a specific type of problem. Some of the consequences include chicken pox, brain infection, etc. While oral herpes occurs due to the herpes simplex type 1 virus, genital herpes is a result of herpes simplex type 2 virus.
Researchers find that somewhere between 50-80% of the population of the United States of America has oral herpes, while one in four of American adults have genital herpes. Needless to say, those who have become sexually active at quite a young age and those who have several sexual partners are at a higher risk of having genital herpes.
Unfortunately, no cure has been discovered for herpes. When an outbreak occurs, no drugs are available that could bring down the fever and the pain. Moreover, there is no form of drug that could help expel the virus from the patient’s body. What these individuals can do is keep the outbreaks in control and take care of the sores and blisters, in order to prevent the transmission of the infection to others around them or close to them.
Herpes patients have the choice of taking different types of antiviral drugs for maximizing the time span between two outbreaks. Some of these medications include Famciclovir, Aciclovir, Penciclovir and Valaciclovir. The original drug available was Aciclovir, from which the rest emerged, less costly to purchase and use. A side effect of these drugs is diarrhoea, which is why many patients take non-diarrhoea tablets along with their herpes drugs.
There are a number of factors due to which herpes patients are not completely satisfied with the medications they are making use of. For instance, patients that have any problems with their immune response cannot handle any oral therapy sessions. Furthermore, certain topical creams are said to have low effect. Fortunately, there are some natural methods of controlling the outbreaks. Additionally, there is said to be a cure for herpes that is still being developed and tested to ensure 100% efficacy, known as the Wonder Cure.
Some of the natural extracts and components that could help you keep your herpes outbreaks under control include:
- Lemon Balm: When used topically as an ointment, lemon balm is said to have a soothing, relieving effect. According to a research in 1993, 115 who applied lemon balm to their herpes sores and blisters were examined after eight days of religiously using the balm. The infected blisters were seen healing in 96% of this group, a result of applying the balm five times a day. It is said that there are certain herbs in the lemon balm that has antiviral properties, which does its magic on herpes lesions.
- Garlic: This is show to inhibit the effect of various viruses, including herpes. Garlic has been used by people since ancient times.
- Samento Extract: Available in liquid form and in the form of pills, samento extract are found in several rainforests around the world. According to ancient folks, this is a blessing for the immune system. Since herpes outbreaks take place when your immune system takes a blow, samento extracts can very well help with the matter. These extracts could be taken along with a cup of tea.
- Goldenseal: This too is believed to have antiviral properties, which is why they can be taken with tea or in capsules.
- Licorice Root: The roots have a compound known as glycyrrhizic acid, which has shown permanent deactivation of the herpes virus in vitro. However, the extensive use of licorice root has shown loss of potassium from the body, along with sodium retention. Therefore, individuals with high blood pressure must consult their doctors before settling with the use of licorice root.
- Tea Tree Oil: Acknowledged as a cure for almost any types of open sores, tea tree oil is usually concentrated. Only a little amount is require d to show maximum potency, which is why a patient could apply it onto herpes sores, blisters and infected areas via a tiny dropper.
The last step to naturally keep your herpes in check is by trying to best to remain fit and healthy. This means exercising, following a balanced diet, keeping yourself unstressed and keeping a mile away from the likes of tobacco and alcohol. If you are into sports, such as tennis or squash, give it a shot. Otherwise, yoga can be your new best friend.